My focus this week lay on the zombies. The first thing was to add simple dismemberment. This was straightforward, and it’s now possible to shoot the limbs away. It was finally time to add some blood. So I started to learn how Unreals Niagara works and created my first blood effect.
It does make a lot of fun, and I have to be aware not to spend too much time on it.

Since one can dismember the legs, I had to add some crawl movement for zombies and crawl attacks. This also happened without any surprise.

The last thing I added was a “biting event”. The zombie should attempt the player and try to bite him or bite him. This should happen until the action button gets pressed.

The implementation was not as simple as I expected, and there is still some jittering. Some of the animations are rooted animations, and I have to play them as a Montage to keep the network compatibility. So the root animations, which are played as Sequence, snap back to their root position. I will fix it next week.

Next week I will work on a more sophisticated melee system and add more blood effects. There will also be a tutorial about projectile path prediction.

That’s about it. Since I wanted to push this blog this week, I had to create some content.

One thought on “Dev Log 2

  1. I like the helpful information you supply on your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.
    I am relatively certain I will be told plenty of new stuff proper
    here! Good luck for the following!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *